Saturday, April 16, 2011

Planting Peas

It's very odd to be planting while wearing a winter coat! 
Today I set up a bean and pea tower and planted 1/4 of the way around the base with snow peas.  It's just two galvanized hoops at either end of a six or seven foot pole with twine looped from base ring to top ring all around.  Also planted 4 square feet of regular peas.  Package says they grow to 24 inches tall and need no support. Used a packet of soil inoculant that's supposed to support legume growth.  It's a mix of bacteria that supports something called "nitrogen fixing" in the soil.  Do I need to understand this, or simply use it?  Use it, I say - just like this computer I'm sitting at now.  I don't understand it, but I use it!
 
In a seed tray inside I planted four broccoli, four basil, four nasturtium, and 20 dwarf marigolds.  The nasturtiums will join the snow peas on the tower just about the time I plant the pole beans and one or two white cucumber vines - end of May.  Just for fun, I stuck four tomato supports into the soil!  I'm getting impatient.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I need and want your comments and advice. I'll reply to questions as soon as I can. Share your opinions but know that all off-topic comments, nasty comments, comments with more than one link, and comments that include profanity will be deleted.