Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Plant and Seed Lists

Thanks, Brittney,  for your advice.  Monarda and Echinacea (a purply rose one) are on the list along with Cardinal Flower Lobelia, blue Delphiniums, Rudbeckia, Shasta Daisy, and Scabiosa. 

I fell head over heels in love with one flower I haven't seen before - Astrantia.  It's for part-sun locations, but I'm buying it.  Perhaps it can go in a half-barrel that's in a somewhat shady spot on one side of my deck stairs.  But that's almost two months from now to just after the last frost date, which is end of May, I think.

This week's task is to add top soil and cow manure to the raised beds.  Two of them (that's 32 square feet) are sprouting rhubarb - not a favorite of mine.  I'm going to leave one bed for the neighbor.  For years she's used it and I think she still will.  The second bed is on reserve for zucchini and cucumbers, so I'm going to chop and dig those rhubarb roots out.

As far as veggies - I think this coming weekend I'll put the peas in.  It's about six weeks before last frost date and my reading suggests this is OK.  Makes my heart pound!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I need and want your comments and advice. I'll reply to questions as soon as I can. Share your opinions but know that all off-topic comments, nasty comments, comments with more than one link, and comments that include profanity will be deleted.